A unique twist on regular shortbread, the anise shortbread is a simple dessert. A touch of Kalona SuperNatural™ Organic Butter gives it that wonderful butter taste without heavily weighing it down!
Anise Shortbread Ingredients
- 1 stick of Kalona SuperNatural™ Organic Butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, unless salted butter was used
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds, plus extra for the top
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
Anise Shortbread Directions
- Heat the oven to 325 °F and take out a 9-inch pie tin.
- Beat Kalona SuperNatural™ Organic Butter with the sugar and salt in an electric mixer using the paddle attachment until smooth, creamy and pale. If the butter was soft, this won’t take very long at all. If it is pretty much cold from the refrigerator and you can’t wait for it to soften, allow about 10 minutes of mixing for it to become creamy.
- When smooth, add the orange flower water and anise seeds, mix them in well, then reduce the speed to low and add the flour. When well mixed, remove the dough and press it into the pie tin. Even the edges, then scatter extra anise seeds over the top and gently press them into the dough with an offset spatula.
- Bake in the center of the oven until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. While the shortbread is still hot, slice it into 12 wedges with a sharp knife, then let it cool in the pan.
- Makes 12 pieces.