Ice cream sandwiches are a classic year-round dessert. These soft, cake-like chocolate ice cream sandwiches are the perfect diy dessert for the kids! Try them with this strawberry ice cream recipe.
- 12 Tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Grass-Fed Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
- 4 1/2 oz organic bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 organic large eggs, room temp.
- 1 cup organic sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 12×17 jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in salt, water, and vanilla.
- While chocolate/butter mixture is melting, set a sieve over a medium bowl and sift together flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and sugar. Add chocolate mixture. Fold in dry ingredients to combine everything together.
- With a spatula, spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until cookie springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove and allow to cool completely. Cut around edges of the pan to loosen the cookie. Set another sheet pan on top and flip to release. Divide cookie into two pieces.
- Cut your favorite ice cream into 1/4-inch slices and line one half of the cookie with them. See Toasted Coconut Homemade Ice Cream recipe.
- Set another half of the cookie on top and cut the sandwich into 16 squares.
- Return them to the parchment-lined sheet pan and freeze.
- Remove from the freezer and wrap each in waxed paper, then aluminum foil.
- Return to freezer. Serve within a week.
These Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are courtesy of Chef Bret Bannon of Bret’s Table.
Keywords: chocolate ice cream sandwiches, homemade ice cream, chocolate, diy dessert