Are you living the keto lifestyle, but still miss bread? These soft pretzels are gluten-free, which is great for those following the keto diet! Ground flaxseed is used as a thickening agent!
- 3 cups organic mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp organic pasture raised cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups organic almond flour
- 2 teaspoons organic flax seed
- 2 organic eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp of dried yeast
- 2 tbsp of warm water
- 2 tbsp of Kalona SuperNatural Organic Grass-Fed Butter, melted
- 1 tbsp of pretzel or kosher salt (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tbs baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in nonstick pan and heat until melted and combined.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and allow it to sit and activate for 2 minutes.
- In your stand mixer (using the dough hook attachment), place the almond flour and Xanthan gum and mix well.
- Add the eggs, yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and mix well.
- Add the hot melted cheese to the stand mixer and allow it to knead the dough until all the ingredients are fully combined. Around 5-10 minutes.
- Split the dough into 12 balls. The dough is easiest to work with while it is warm.
- Roll each ball into a long skinny log and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Place each pretzel in a pan with hot simmering water and baking soda, 5 to 10 seconds on each side.
- Place on a lined or non-stick cookie sheet, give a little space and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake in the oven until golden.
Tip: These pretzels can be frozen! To freeze, prepare and bake as instructed, then place in the freezer. Simply re-bake when ready to enjoy!
Hint: If you plan to freeze, don’t salt until re-baking.
Keto Approved Soft Pretzels recipe and photos courtesy of Kids Krazy 4 Healthy Cooking.
Keywords: soft pretzels