4 tablespoons Kalona SuperNatural butter
2 onions, diced (I like Vidalias)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups Kalona SuperNatural Sour Cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or roast a head of garlic – can’t go wrong there)
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (I was out and used black pepper – worked fine)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and melt the butter. I like to let the butter brown just a little bit to get that extra flavor.
- Add the onions and ¼ teaspoon of salt and toss in the butter. Turn the heat down and begin the process of browning/stirring/browning/stirring.
- Mix together the sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Add the spices to the creamy mix. If you don’t like using garlic powder, I definitely can recommend roasted garlic – DO NOT add raw garlic, it’s too overpowering for this dish.
- When onions are done cooking, pull them off the heat and let them cool before mixing them in to the dip.
I’ve tried this with roasted garlic instead of using the powder, and it’s delicious if you have time on your hands. Just cut off the top of a head of garlic, drizzle olive oil over the cloves and roast at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
If you want to lighten up the recipe a bit, try substituting plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise. I strain mine through a cheese cloth first to thicken it up, then measure out ¾ cup for the recipe.