Kalona SuperNatural™ 2% Reduced Fat Cultured Buttermilk can be used to make the most tender baked goods imaginable, including these whole-wheat biscuits! This recipe calls for white whole wheat flour which makes extremely tender biscuits, but regular white flour or a mixture of flours can also be used.
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits Ingredients:
- 1 ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Kalona SuperNatural Lightly Salted Butter
- 1 cup grated Medium Cheddar Cheese
- ¾ cup Kalona SuperNatural 2% Reduced Fat Cultured Buttermilk
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- First, combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl of an electric mixer, and using the paddle attachment, mix them together.
- Chop the butter into small bits and add them to the dry ingredients. With the speed on low, mix until the butter is the size of a pea or a kernel of corn. Add the cheese, then immediately afterwards, add the buttermilk. Mix for a minute or less, just long enough to bring the dough together.
- Turn the dough out onto a counter lightly dusted with flour. Knead it gently a few times to make it smooth, then roll it out into a circle about ½ inch thick. Cut the dough with your biscuit cutter (I used a fluted 1 /34 inch cutter) or glass, dipping it into flour if needed. Re-roll the scraps and continue making biscuits until the dough is gone.
- Place the biscuits on the pan about a ½ inch apart. Bake in the center of the oven until they are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the pan once. Serve them warm or the next day, toasted, with marmalade or your favorite preserve.
Recipe courtesy of Deborah Madison.