Many Kalona SuperNatural fans also follow the keto lifestyle. We’ve partnered with Convenient Keto to share with you what keto is, why people choose to “go keto,” and the best tips to helping you maintain your experience on the keto diet.
What is Keto?
Keto, or ketosis, involves converting fat to ketones, which are water-soluble molecules produced in the liver. Once your body is in ketosis, it will start using ketones for fuel rather than stored carbohydrates, hence burning fat.
In order for this to all work effectively, you need to keep the insulin levels in your body as low as possible. You see, insulin works directly to inhibit ketosis. Since carbs increase blood glucose, which increases insulin, which decreases ketone production, you want to keep the carb intake low.Convenient Keto
Organic, pasture-raised dairy contains a higher proportion of omega-3 to omega-6. That means consuming high-quality, full-fat dairy products supplies you with a spectrum of great fats (like butyrate in butter) and also leaves you more satiated. For this reason, we use the Kalona Supernatural brand of small-farm, pasture-raised, organic dairy products, like their butter in our keto coffee and heavy cream, which has zero fillers!Convenient Keto
Convenient Keto’s 10 Tips to Maintain Your Keto Diet
1) Not all carbs are equal. Focus on what you CAN eat, not what you CAN’T eat.
2) Find substitutes for your guilty pleasures. Use Convenient Keto’s Keto Swap Tool.
3) Don’t use weight as a measure of success. You might not realize that keto is prone to weight fluctuations as it favors retaining muscle mass.
4) Eat your veggies! Soluble fiber (when paired with fat) helps minimize blood sugar and insulin impacts of food.
5) Don’t worry about the keto flu. Minimize symptoms of this and you won’t see any ill-effects. Find those tips here.
6) Avoid using keto supplements. The only one recommended is MCT oil which reduces insulin sensitivity.
7) Only start optimizing when you’re comfortable. Once you’ve gotten the hang of eating lower carbs, sugars, and higher fat, then optimize for more health benefits.
8) Research intermittent fasting. With the keto diet, your body is already used to the runoff of fat to generate ketones, so you won’t feel sluggish during the fasting periods.
9) Remember the importance of physical activity. Keto is 90% diet, so you don’t necessarily have to ‘work-out’ or ‘exercise’. Simply take a walk.
10) Find your ‘why’. You could want to lose weight, or simply want to live a healthier, happier life. If you’re unhappy, it’s probably too extreme.Convenient Keto, December 2019
These 10 Tips to Maintain Your Keto Diet are courtesy of our friends at Convenient Keto.