Tiramisu is a timeless no-bake Italian dessert combining espresso-dipped ladyfingers and whipped mascarpone. The delightful, fluffy mascarpone layers, made with Kalona SuperNatural minimally processed organic whipping cream, perfectly balance the strong espresso flavor for an unforgettable dessert.
- 2 cups strong black coffee, room temperature
- 1 shot espresso, room temperature
- 6 large egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 9 Tbsp (about ½ cup) dark rum or simple syrup
- 1 1/2 pounds cold mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic Whipping Cream
- 14 oz ladyfingers
- 3 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder or as needed
- 1/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, grated (optional for topping)
- In a shallow bowl, combine the coffee and espresso. Have a 9 x 13 baking dish ready.
- Add a couple of inches of water to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. In a medium heatproof bowl add the egg yolks and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Set the bowl over the simmering water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Add in 1/4 cup of cream. Remove from heat and whisk in the simple syrup a little at a time. Set bowl aside in an ice bath to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment mix the remaining 3/4 cup cream to form medium peaks. Slowly pour the cooled egg yolk mixture along the side of the bowl while whisking on medium speed.
- Whisk the mascarpone to loosen and then add about a cup at a time to the whipped cream mixture continuing to whip to create a soft, spreadable mixture with medium peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Working one at a time, quickly dip each ladyfinger into the coffee/espresso mixture (they are quite porous and will fall apart if left in the liquid too long). Place them– rounded side up– to fill the bottom of the baking dish, breaking the ladyfingers as needed to fill in any gaps.
- Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Sprinkle half the cocoa powder over the mascarpone.
- Repeat, using the other half of the ladyfingers, until you’ve got an even layer. Spread the remaining half of the mascarpone mixture onto the ladyfingers in one even layer. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, dust the top layer with the remaining cocoa powder. Add the grated chocolate, if desired.
- Cut into desired squares and serve. Any remaining can be wrapped in plastic wrap and enjoyed the next day.
The above tiramisu recipe and photo are courtesy of Bret Bannon of Bret’s Table.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian