- 13 tablespoons or (6 1/2 oz or 187g) of Kalona SuperNatural Unsalted Butter, plus enough to butter the molds
- 1/4 cup or (2 1/4 oz or 63g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups or (4 1/2 oz or 125g) almond powder
- 3 1/2 cups or (14 oz or 212g) confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (6 1/2 oz or 187g) egg whites
Place the butter in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until it turns brown and has the aroma of toasted nuts. Pour into a bowl to stop the cooking and set aside to cool.
In the same pan melt a little more butter. Brush each mold with some of the melted butter using a small pastry brush. Set aside.
In a medium bowl using a whisk mix together the flour, almond flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Add the egg whites and mix just until combined. When the brown butter has cooled, add it to the dry ingredients and whisk again, just until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
Fill the batter 3/4 full into prepared financier or muffin molds. Cook in molds at 350°F for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes then using the tip of a paring knife carefully remove each “cake” to a rack to cool. They taste their best when served the day they are baked though no one has ever complained when I served them the next day.