10 Ingredient Substitutions
It never fails, the one time you need a specific ingredient, you don’t have it at home. So, we’re here to help! See our guide to 10 ingredient substitutions below (some are even healthy food swap ideas)!
- 1 cup sour cream → 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup plain yogurt → 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cottage cheese (blended until smooth) → 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk → 1 cup whole or skim milk plus 1 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar → 1 cup milk plus 1 ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup Whipping Cream (between 36% and 40% fat) → 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup butter or margarine (for use in cooking or baking)
- Ice cream → frozen yogurt. Try this fun recipe for Frozen Yogurt Bites!
- Flavored Coffee Creamer → Whipping cream, half & half or whole milk! Need a little something sweet, try an organic sweetener like, SweetLeaf.
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese → 1 cup cottage cheese (drained)
- Condensed milk → Make your own with whipping cream, sugar & flour! Try this Sweetened condensed milk substitute recipe!
- Ghee → Make your own using our butter, and llearn how to make ghee.
Join our Herd for More!
Sign-up to our e-newsletter, and find more healthy tips and and ingredient substitutions.