It’s a tradition to dye eggs for Easter, but have you ever tried using fruit and vegetables to make the dyes? It’s simple! Most of these items you can find in your pantry or at a local market. This is a great project the whole family can enjoy!
- Red/Pink – 4 cups chopped beets
- Orange – 4 cups yellow onion skins
- Yellow – 3 tablespoons turmeric (add to boiling water)
- Blue – 3 cups chopped red/purple cabbage
- Purple/silver – 4 cups water, 4 cups frozen blueberries (skip vinegar)
- Combine one quart of water and two tablespoons white vinegar in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil and add your dye ingredients (above based on color).
- Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Strain dye before adding the eggs. Once strained, let soak for at least 30 minutes. Note: For a brighter color, let it soak longer.
- Remove with tongs and pat dry.
Keywords: natural easter egg dye