- 1 cup active sourdough starter (240 grams)
- 2 1/4 cups organic all-purpose flour (323 grams)
- 2 cups Kalona SuperNatural Organic 100% Grass-Fed Plain Kefir
- 6 tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Lightly Salted Butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (41 grams)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- extra butter for frying
The Night Before:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sourdough starter, flour, and kefir. Cover and allow to ferment overnight, or about 8-12 hours (see note). An active sourdough starter is one that has been fed about 8-12 hours previously, and is bubbly and passes the float test.
The Next Morning:
Whisk in the butter, eggs, maple syrup, and salt. Sprinkle the baking soda on top of the batter and whisk just to combine well. The batter will be quite thick, but you can thin it out with extra kefir if needed.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add a good amount of butter. Ladle the batter onto the hot skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are nicely browned and the pancakes are bubbling in the center. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until nicely browned on the bottom as well.
Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter with each batch.
Serve hot with lots of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Make sure the overnight batter is properly fermented or the pancakes won’t be fluffy. If your kitchen is chilly, this could take 10-12 hours. So if you want to eat your pancakes at 8:00 in the morning, mix up the overnight batter at 8:00 the night before.
- You can reheat the pancakes in a toaster!
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 416 kcal