There are hundreds of ways you can make a grilled cheese, but sometimes the simplest is best, especially when using a high quality cheese with delicate flavor. This month, Chef Deborah Madison shares her own personal twist on the traditional grilled cheese by mixing Mozzarella (for its stringiness) with Monterey Jack (for its mild acidity). You can choose sourdough or sprouted grain bread but Chef Madison recommends a swipe mustard to get started. And of course, the entire sandwich was cooked gently and slowly in Kalona SuperNatural™ butter.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- 1 ounce Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 ounce Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 slices sourdough or nutty sprouted whole wheat bread
- Mustard, your choice (optional)
- A few teaspoons Kalona SuperNatural™ Lightly Salted Butter, as needed
Grilled Cheese Directions
- Grate the cheese first on the large wholes of a grater. This makes it easier to distribute and melt.
- Spread the bread on one side each with mustard if you want its tang, then mound the cheese evenly over one slice and top with the second, the mustard sides being within, not outside.
- Melt a teaspoon or so of butter in a pan just large enough for the sandwich. Add the sandwich and let it cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Take it out, add another bit of butter, then turn the sandwich over and cook the second side. Cover the pan to keep the heat in and melt the cheese and cook for just 2 or 3 minutes. Slice it out, cut it into quarters or “fingers” and serve along side of a soup or salad. A simple, classic, and good grilled cheese recipe!