Grass-fed Dairy | Gluten Free | Sweet Potato
What can make your delectable bowl of soup even better?
Buttermilk biscuits! Especially when they feature delicious sweet potato and Kalona SuperNatural organic cultured buttermilk and organic grass-fed butter! Try these biscuits with the Slow-Cooker Chicken Corn Chowder recipe. Both together are delicious.
- 1 ¾ cups Gluten-Free Baking Flour, plus more for rolling and shaping
- 2 ½ tsp.baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. chilled Kalona Supernatural Organic Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potato or pumpkin puree, chilled
- ½ cup Kalona Supernatural Organic Cultured Buttermilk
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add butter and using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger chunks remaining.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mashed sweet potato (or pumpkin puree), buttermilk and nutmeg.
- Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured cutting board. Dust dough lightly with flour and use your hands to very lightly knead the dough until it comes together in a smooth ball, adding a bit of flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to your hands.
- Shape dough into a disk ½ – ¾-inch thick.
- Use a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter (or a small mason jar) to cut dough into circles as close together as possible. You can also use a knife to cut the dough into 2×2-inch squares. Gather together scraps, and repeat to cut out more biscuits until dough is used up (being careful not to use too much flour).
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing them 1-inch apart. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned, rotating the pan once during baking.
Recipe Courtesy of The Real Food Dietitians.Print
- Serving Size: 1 Biscuit
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 15 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits