It’s sometimes hard to get kids to eat more veggies, right? Erica with Buttered Side Up has the perfect recipe to sneak the healthy nutrients of butternut squash in your child’s favorite food, mac and cheese! Take it one step further by adding bacon. Enjoy!
- 5 tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic Whipping Cream
- 1/2 organic yellow onion
- 8 oz organic elbow macaroni pasta
- 4 oz organic sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup organic grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz organic Colby or Jack-style cheese
- 1/3 cup butternut squash puree
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh organic parsley and bacon for serving
How-to-Make Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and turning brown, about 10-15 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Fill the now-empty pot 2/3 full with water and generously salt. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Drain and return to pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and turn down to low heat. Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir. Continue letting it sit covered and stir until it forms a smooth sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and bacon if desired. Serve immediately.
This Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe courtesy of Erica Kastner of Buttered Side Up.