This Chocolate Pots de Creme recipe, courtesy of Bret’s Table, is a fantastic addition to any holiday meal or special gathering.
Chocolate Pots de Crème Ingredients
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped**
- 5 large egg yolks
- 5tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups Kalona SuperNatural™ Whipping Cream
- 3/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural™ Half and Half
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Whipped Kalona SuperNatural™ Whipping Cream
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Chocolate shavings for sprinkling
*Before you start, decide how you want to serve this delicious dessert. It’s rich, and a little goes a long way, two-ounce ramekins are perfect. Pour water into your ramekins or small bowls to measure the amount of ounces. Divide that amount by 30 to get the number of ramekins that will be needed. We used 2-ounce containers and made 15 servings.
**Use a food processor to chop the chocolate. Just a few pulses with the metal “S” blade attachment will give you perfect finely chopped pieces.
- After the chocolate is finely chopped, place it in a medium heatproof bowl. Set a fine-mesh strainer over the bowl and set aside. In another medium bowl, whisk yolks, sugar, and salt until combined; whisk in heavy cream and half-and-half.
- Transfer mixture, along with the vanilla bean to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of pot with a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula until thickened.
- Bring the custard up to 175° to 180° F on an instant-read thermometer; this should take about 8 to 12 minutes. Do not let the custard simmer or it will become grainy due to the egg yolks curdling.
- Immediately pour the hot custard through the strainer over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand to melt chocolate, about 5 minutes. Whisk gently until smooth, then whisk in espresso. Divide mixture evenly among ramekins. Gently tap ramekins against counter to remove air bubbles.
- Cool pots de crème to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days. Before serving, let pots de crème stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite garnish.