This cucumber and grape raita recipe is simple to make and delicious with your favorite East Indian cuisine.
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 – 2 dried hot chilies (depending on amount of heat desired)
- 2 1/2 cups Kalona SuperNatural™ organic 5% plain yogurt
- 1 cup red or green seedless grapes, cut in half
- 3/4 cup peeled, seeded and diced English cucumber
- 2 scallions, diced (white and tender green leaves)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Combine the cumin, coriander, peppercorns and dried chilies in a small frying pan and toast over medium heat until the seeds begin to brown and become fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Grind to a powder in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and set aside.
Whisk the yogurt in a bowl until smooth and lightened. Add the grapes, cucumber, onion, and mint and stir to mix well. Stir in the ground spices and cayenne. Chill well. Stir in the salt just before serving and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro if desired. Makes about 3 cups.
Recipe used by permission of Bret’s Table.