Eggnog is the perfect Christmas morning treat. It’s even better with these scrumptious eggnog cinnamon rolls from Buttered Side Up. Wake up Christmas morning and serve up a delicious breakfast that will soon turn into a family holiday tradition!
Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls Ingredients
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups Kalona SuperNatural Organic Classic Eggnog
- 1/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 large pasture-raised egg
- 1 3/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 3 Tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter, browned
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 12 Tbsp organic powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter, browned
- 1/4 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Classic Eggnog
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (or organic ground nutmeg)
- 1 pinch of unrefined sea salt
How-to-make Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls
Making the Dough
- In a small measuring cup, add the sugar and yeast to the warm water. Allow the yeast to activate for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the eggnog and butter in a skillet. Heat until the butter is mostly melted. The eggnog shouldn’t reach above 105° F or it will kill the yeast. Add this mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. In this order, add the flour, egg, salt, and yeast mixture.
- With the paddle attachment, mix just until a ‘shaggy’ dough is formed. Switch to the dough and knead for 15 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. You can add up to 1/2 cup additional flour if needed to get the dough to the proper consistency. The dough should be soft and not completely clean on the bottom of the bowl, but not so sticky that it doesn’t form a dough.
- Butter a large bowl. Form the dough into a ball, place it top-side-down in the bowl, and flip it to grease the top of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 1/2-2 hours.
Make the Filling
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
- Roll the dough out to a 12″x17″ rectangle on a generously buttered work surface with a buttered rolling pin. Spread the browned butter across the dough (make sure to leave 1 inch of dough clean at the far long end). Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly across the dough. Roll up jelly-roll style along the long end closest to you. Pinch the seam to seal.
- Slice the dough log crosswise into 15 rolls, about 1-inch wide (see image below). Transfer to a buttered 13×9 inch baking dish and arrange them 3 across, 5 down. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot until almost doubled in size (about 1-2 hours).
- Half an hour before the rolls are finished rising, preheat oven to 375. Bake the risen rolls for 20-30 minutes or until they’re golden brown and a thermometer reads 200 when inserted. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool 15-20 minutes.
Making the Frosting
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle over the rolls while they’re still warm.
- Serve with a glass of Kalona SuperNatural stabilizer-free organic eggnog.
Photos and the recipe of these Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls are courtesy of Erica Kastner of Buttered Side Up.