Peanut butter and jelly is a classic combination. For this recipe, that delicious duo is paired with gluten-free oats, protein powder, and our award-winning vanilla kefir. These kefir oatmeal bars are a great way to start your day!
- 1 cup organic creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp organic honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup rolled old-fashioned oatmeal (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp oat flour (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/4 cup organic powdered peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic 100% Grass-Fred Whole Milk Vanilla Kefir
- 1 organic egg yolk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup organic strawberry preserves
PB&J Kefir Oatmeal Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and honey until smooth (about 1 minute). Sprinkle the coconut sugar on top and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While the coconut sugar stands, mix oats, oat flour, peanut butter, and protein powders, baking soda and powder, and the salt in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Whisk together sugar and peanut butter mixtures. Add in the kefir, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth. (The mixture will thicken a lot.)
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until combined.
- Spread 1/2 of the dough into the pan. Spread the preserves on top. Drop the remaining dough in clumps over the top of the preserves. Use a spatula to cover the preserves.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. (Preserves on the toothpick is fine!?)
- This step is key to making them soft and chewy. Place a hot pad into your refrigerator and place the pan immediately on it in the fridge for 15 minutes. Don’t leave them in the fridge longer than 15 minutes or you will heat up your fridge!
- After refrigerating, return the pan to the counter and cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy!
Photos and recipe courtesy of Food Faith Fitness.