This Ricotta Chocolate Cake recipe makes a moist, dense, yet surprisingly fluffy dessert! Ricotta cheese in a cake recipe may sound strange, but it is truly delicious. The more ricotta you add, the more it will resemble a classic pound cake.
- 5 tbsp Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate (65%)
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (make your own with Kalona SuperNatural Fresh Cheesemaking Kits)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan. Line with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small pan, melt butter over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and add oil. Set aside to cool.
- Place chocolate in small bowl and set over a pan to barely simmering water. Stir often as the chocolate melts, being careful not to splash water into chocolate. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- With a mesh strainer above a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the ricotta and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time until each is thoroughly mixed in before adding the next.
- Drizzle in the butter mixture and continue beating until mixed well.
- Add in the sifted dry ingredients until combined.
- Dollop two-thirds of batter randomly in the prepared cake pan. Fold the melted chocolate into the remaining batter until fully mixed.
- Pour the chocolate batter in between the dollops of plain batter. With a spatula, swirl the batter several times to lightly mix the two batters. Smooth the top.
- Bake until lightly mounded or when a toothpick comes out clean, when poked in the middle of the pan. About 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes and flip onto a wire cooling rack.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar and serve.
Recipe and photos of this Ricotta Chocolate Cake courtesy of Bret Bannon from Bret’s Table.