This cottage cheese and spinach gratin recipe, provided by Chef Deborah Madison, can be an appetizer or the center attraction of a meal. Cut it into small pieces and serve it warm with a simple tomato sauce, or serve it at room temperature garnished with roasted red or yellow peppers or cherry tomato salsa.Print
- 2 bunches spinach, stems removed, washed but not dried
- 5 eggs (of your choice), beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, or 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or 2 teaspoons fresh coriander (cilatnro), chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sea salt and freshly milled pepper
- 2 cups Kalona SuperNatural™ cottage cheese (of your choice)
Preheat the oven to 350’F. Generously cover an 8 x 10 gratin dish or a round baking dish with Kalona SuperNatural™ butter.
Cook the spinach in a wide skillet with the water clinging to its leaves until wilted. Press out the liquid. Chop the spinach finely. Beat the eggs and add the herbs and flour, ½-teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped spinach and the cottage cheese. Pour into the prepared dish and bake until set, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into diamonds or squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
While spinach is always good with eggs, a mixture of beet greens, escarole, chard, kale and spinach make a more interesting and unpredictable dish. You’ll want at least 2 cups cooked greens in all.