What is Kefir?
Chances are you’ve seen kefir in the store next to the yogurt (even if you didn’t realize it). Kefir is a probiotic beverage, similar to drinkable yogurt. It has been in the natural foods world for a while but is still mysterious to many. Kefir is made when culture grains or powdered kefir culture is added to milk. The cultures attach to lactose in milk creating a tangy and nutritional beverage great for smoothies, overnight oats, or simply alone.
Why Choose Kalona SuperNatural 100% Grass-Fed Organic Kefir
Not all organic dairy is created equal, including kefir. Kalona SuperNatural award-winning organic kefir is made with certified 100% grass-fed whole milk. Not only does it meet and exceed USDA organic standards, but it is also Non-GMO project verified and meets the American Grass-fed Association standards.
BONUS Recipe Below
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
The combination of peanut butter and banana are good in almost any recipe. This overnight oats recipe makes a delicious breakfast (or snack) with probiotics from kefir, and protein from the peanut butter.
- 1 cup old-fashioned organic oats
- 2 Tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1 cup Kalona SuperNatural 100% Grass-Fed Organic Plain Kefir
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ripe organic banana, mashed
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp flax meal or chia seeds (Try 1/2 Tbsp of each)
- Additional toppings
- sliced bananas
- peanut butter drizzle
- chopped nuts
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the above ingredients minus the toppings.
- Divide the mixture into three jars.
- Seal and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Add your desired toppings before serving.
Blog, recipe, and photos courtesy of The Real Food Dietitians.