- 2 ounces diced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Kalona SuperNatural unsalted butter
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/3 pound ground pork
- 1/3 pound ground veal
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- To make a soffritto, heat butter in a sauté pan. Add pancetta, onion, celery, and carrot and cook over medium heat until onion turn pale gold.
- Add the beef, pork, and veal to the soffritto, and increase the heat to high; cook until browned. Add the garlic and sauté with the cinnamon and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. If you are using whole canned tomatoes, break them up as you add them to the sauce.
- Season with sea salt. Turn down the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours stirring at least every 20 minutes.
- If the sauce gets too dry and starts sticking to the pan add 1/4 cup of stock and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining stock for a more broth-like consistency.
Recipe used by permission of Bret’s Table.