Luscious, thick, beautiful cream. You have a carton, now the question is, what to do with it? The tendency is to want to feature it alone, as in a panna cotta or as crème brulee. While both desserts are irresistible, this creamy mushroom soup is somewhat less caloric and can be featured as the main dish.
Any soup will be richer with cream, and not just a teaspoon full but up to a cup for 6 cups soup. The soup itself can be made of humble ingredients, such as chard, lentils, carrots, mushrooms, but with the cream it becomes instantly elevated.
While I seldom make anything with this much cream, this soup is one exception. A healthy splash really brings all the flavors together. Plus, it’s a joy to make and a pleasure to view –all pebbly with its swirls of cream and black pepper. Because it’s rich, you can serve this in small (1/2-cup) portions.
Creamy Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Kalona SuperNatural™ Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup diced leek or onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pound mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 piece firm-textured bread or 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 cups commercial mushroom stock from a 1 quart package
- 1/2 to 1 cup Kalona SuperNatural™ Whipping Cream
Creamy Mushroom Soup Directions
- Melt the butter in a wide soup pot over medium-high heat. When it foams, add the shallot, cook for several minutes, then add the mushrooms and stir will to coat with the butter. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat until their liquid is released, then add the garlic, bread, and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender, leaving it a bit textured with flecks of mushroom, and then return the soup to its pan. Add salt to taste. Pour in the cream, swirl it into the mushrooms with a spoon, and season with pepper. If the soup is too thick, add the remaining 1 cup mushroom stock to thin, as needed. Garnish with minced parsley and freshly ground pepper.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy mushroom soup