Lemon – Thyme Cake with Apricot Sauce
This lemon-thyme cake screams summer! It’s light, delicious and perfect for your summer picnic! Makes 8 -12 servings.
- 2 tablespoons Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter, plus enough to grease the pan
- 1 cup (4 oz / 115 g) cornmeal
- ½ cup (2 ½ oz / 70 g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 egg whites
- 1 cup (7 oz / 195 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup (4 oz / 110 g) Kalona SuperNatural Organic Sour Cream
- 1½ tablespoons organic lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced organic thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1½ cups white wine
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, plumped in hot wine and chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Vanilla ice cream, crème fraiche or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch -cake pan with butter.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan and set aside to cool.
- Sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment beat together eggs, egg whites and sugar until creamy. Slowly add oil, butter, sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice; beat until smooth.
- Fold in dry ingredients and basil; do not overmix. Pour and scrape into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Combine in a saucepan the cinnamon, cloves, wine, sugar, apricots, lemon zest and brandy.
- Simmer until slightly thickened. Serve over cake along with vanilla ice cream, crème fraiche or whipped cream.
Lemon-Thyme Cake recipe courtesy of Bret Bannon of Bret’s Table.Print
Keywords: Lemon-Thyme Cake