The Perfect Sugar Cookies
Whether you’re a sugar cookie making expert or new to the adventure, this recipe is fool proof! Bret of Bret’s Table in St. Paul, MN, takes you step-by-step in making these perfect sugar cookies. So grab your favorite cookie and let’s start baking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic almond flour
- 3/4 cup organic cornstarch
- 1 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter (cut into small, equal pieces)
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 large organic egg yolks (room temperature)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/1 tsp organic almond extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flours and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Using your mixer, cream the butter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the sugar and salt. Beat until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Mix in the egg yolks one at a time until each is evenly blended. Add the extracts. Scrape the sides of the bowl, once more.
- Add flour mixture on medium to low speed until the dough starts to form.
- On a flat, smooth, cold work surface, remove the dough from the bowl.
- Using the heel of your hand, smear the dough away from you, little by little, turning it back onto itself with a scraping tool. Do this until the dough is combined.
- Once combined, divide dough into thirds and form each into a rectangle.
- Roll each piece of dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper, to a thickness of 1/4 inch. After rolling out, leave the dough between the parchment paper and stack on a half-sheet pan. Refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Remove a ‘slab’ of dough from the fridge and cut with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Gently gather the remaining dough back into a rectangle and reroll. Refrigerate to firm it up and cut as you did the others. It works to reroll just once, otherwise the cookies start getting tough. Get creative!
- Set each cookie about a 1/2 inch apart form another on the parchment lined baking sheet. Return pan to refrigerator or freezer to harden while you line another sheet with cookies.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until just barely beginning to brown. With cookies still on the parchment paper, slide onto a cooling rack and completely cool before decorating.
Sugar Cookie recipes and photos courtesy of Bret Bannon of Bret’s Table.Print
Sugar Cookie recipes and photos courtesy of Bret Bannon of Bret’s Table.
Keywords: Sugar Cookies