Homemade Cultured Butter
We love fresh recipes, and we know you do, too. Here’s a do-it-yourself cultured butter recipe, and it’s so simple!
Salted Cultured Butter
- 1/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic Buttermilk
- 1 quart Kalona SuperNatural Organic Whipping Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt for taste
- Combine buttermilk and cream in a saucepan and heat to 85°F.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl. Cover with a couple of layers of cheesecloth or clean cotton towel.
- Let sit at room temperature for 8-24 hours, or until thickened.
(PS- you just made crème fraîche, which will be the base of your butter!)
- Place the crème fraîche in a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using a whisk attachment, whip mixture until the curds of butter separate from the whey (buttermilk). This can take from 5 to 10 minutes.
Note: Cover the entire mixer with food film or a cotton towel contain splattering.
- Once buttermilk has separated form the curds, pour the contents of the mixing bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Save the buttermilk for cooking or to enjoy as a beverage.
- Place the butter curds back in the mixing bowl and pour ice cold water over it.
- Using a small spatula, press out any remaining buttermilk. Keep pressing and rinsing the butter until the water is clear.
- Mix sea salt into the butter, according to your preference of taste.
- Form butter into a log, wrap it in a piece of parchment paper, then plastic wrap, and freeze.
- Let it return to room temperature before you enjoy!
Recipe and photo courtesy from Bret Bannon of Bret’s Table.Print